One of the great things about some of the big end of year tournaments we have in our settings is that it gives is a really good look at how our system mechanics are working out, and even more so it helps bring to light any potential gaps or tweaks we may need to address.
As the title of the post would indicate, this chat is going to be about firmly establishing interrupts and interrupting in the game.
For the most part it was just kind of there, but it wasn't being handled any specific way, or was regulated to a kind of flavor in the ruling, unless a character specifically had it in their skill they could disrupt an action. But often that was only applied to magical actions via a meta magic type skill.
With the introduction of the aspects to help clearly compact and indicate the end intent of skill actions, skills with weaken kind of became a way to have an actual way to interrupt.
weaken abilities can reduce the PP of an attempted action, and if enough was generated on the weaken action to overcome the PP of the action being disrupted it would be considered interrupted.
However this still left a 'true' interrupt out of the system.
In order to address this and bring this into play we will be looking at adding in the following:
- Putting an Interrupt action as part of the defense aspect (This will give that aspect: Block, Dodge, Interrupt, Parry/Counter (specialized), Redirect (specialized))
** Remember only physical skills can parry or redirect physical actions, and magical skills can only parry or redirect magical actions
- An Interrupt will be considered universal, just like block and dodge, giving 3 options of universal defense
** This means a physical skill can interrupt mundane or magical, same with a magical skill
- Interrupting can be applied to any action
- Interrupting will be an all or nothing action - meaning in order to successfully interrupt you have to generate equal or more pp then the action you are interrupting
**Due to the fact this can be applied to -any- action, a bit of risk- reward here
** Also we do not want to duplicate what is going on with the weaken abilities that focus more on draining as oppose to flat out interrupt
**Also different enough from crowd control type actions, which may take a target out briefly but may not stop the action they were doing
- An Interrupt only prevents the target action from going off if successful, nothing else
- Stats to roll:
Physical - Str and Dex
Magical/Psi - Int and Spir